Causes and Prevention of Hypertension
WHAT IS HYPERTENSION?
Hypertension is the persistent, intermittent, or sustained elevation of blood pressure, usually above 140/90 mmHg.
Hypertension can result from a change in cardiac output, a change in peripheral resistance, or both. The normal blood pressure is 100/60 140/90 mmHg.
TYPES OF HYPERTENSION
Hypertension has basically two types which are:
1. Primary hypertension or idiopathic hypertension- It has no identifiable medical cause but there are some risk factors which includes:
ii. Race ( common among blacks ).
iii. Gender (common in men than women).
iv. Family history.
vii. Excessive caffeine, alcohol, or tobacco use.
2. Secondary hypertension: It is the type caused by disease conditions of the organs of various systems in the body. Some of the causes include:
i. Thyroid, parathyroid, or pituitary dysfunction.
vi. Pregnancy-induced hypertension.
vii. Head trauma
CLINICAL MANIFESTATION ( SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS) OF HYPERTENSION.
- Impaired vision and speech.
- Elevated blood pressure e.t.c
PREVENTION OF HYPERTENSION.
1. Reduce salt intake.
2. Eating more fruits and vegetables.
3. Reducing fats in the diet.
4. Reduction in the intake of foods that are high in saturated fats.
5. Reducing alcohol consumption and lastly
6. Being physically active on a regular basis.
STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY